Saturday 8 March 2014

Cheri Reimer - Teacher's Toolbox: Otis Kriegel

Teacher’s Toolbox
In his book, Everything a New Elementary School Teacher REALLY Needs to Know (But Didn’t Learn in College), Otis Kriegel offers real-life practical advice to new teachers who are just entering into their first years of the profession. The tone of the book is conversational and encouraging. At times it felt like I was listening to a mentor giving tips on how to run a classroom from his tried and true strategies, and telling anecdotes of his and other teachers’ successes and failures. Every piece of advice in this book has been tested and has worked in real-life classrooms. The author aims to provide advice to avoid awkward or dangerous situations, and to keep teaching fun. One surprising thing that I have learned in practicum is that the actual time spent teaching is only a very small part of what a teacher actually does. There is so much going on behind the scenes that I, as a student learning how to be a teacher, had no knowledge of. This book aims to fill in the gaps of teacher education that two years of university seem to miss. Some details of the teacher profession are not taught in university classes, but there are things we will have to do but have no way of knowing how to deal with them except through our own or others’ experiences.
There were many times throughout the reading of this book where I found myself nodding along, and making notes in the margins. There were many things that stood out to be as beneficial and strategies I could use going into my second block of practicum this upcoming week. The three things that stood out to me the most were getting students started in the day, managing responsibilities in the classroom, and handling transitions with ease.
I was surprised to learn that much of what I need to know about my classroom, my school, and my job is by asking questions of everyone. This would be challenging for me as I like to do things on my own and figure them out “as I go along” but some things I have no way of knowing except by asking. For the first couple months of my teacher career I will have to be that person who just cannot stop asking questions.
The idea of using a meeting time is a great idea for getting kids settled and ready for the day. Often it cannot happen in the morning, as kids are still coming in and getting settled, and there may be late comers who would just distract from the meeting. A better idea would be to have it later on in the morning. I could use this strategy in the next few weeks in my practicum, as my students have a real issue with getting to school on time. Putting the morning meeting later on in the morning would allow us to begin the day settled, focused and aware.
I appreciate the way the author handles the idea of responsibility: that it belongs with the students. The author suggests a way of checking homework is to assign student monitors to go around and check other’s work, as to “put the responsibility back on the students, where it belongs” (Kriegel, 77).
Going along with the idea of responsibility, a big part of daily classroom life is supply management and the responsibility of classroom supplies. I really liked the strategy of only putting out the number of materials for how many kids are in your classroom. This will prevent waste and have students be mindful of materials and learn to take care of what is not theirs. This also “encourages a sense of community and teaches responsibility”(Kriegel, 83), both very important aspects of a working classroom.
Continuing with the material responsibilities, inventing a system to keep track of the classroom tools is also crucial if you don’t want anything to go missing. One teacher from the book traces the outline of scissors, staplers, or sharpeners with a black pen on a shelf. That way, at the end of the day, a simple glance would let her know if she was missing anything (Kriegel, 101). One thing I would do to improve on this strategy would to make the outline of the object only visible when the object was missing. I would trace the outline of the tool with a pencil, and then fill in the inside of the outline with a red permanent marker. When the tool is in its place, I won’t be able to see any red. If I glance over and see any trace of red, I know that something is missing.
Transitions from one activity to another are something that I have been working on with my students. This is very important as transitions are one of those things that have to happen several times in a day and can eat up valuable learning time. One thing in particular where I am yet unsure of is how many directions to give them at once during a transition. The book suggests that before you give instruction, make sure you have thought about the what, when, how, where and why for the most effective transition. This textbook suggests that you give students one clear concise direction at a time and wait until all have finished before continuing on to the next step (Kriegel, 106). With practice, students will become more effective at transitions to the point where they might be able to complete all the tasks with a simple prompt.

Overall, I found this book to be very useful for its purpose. The author teaches teachers what they might be missing before they go into their first year of teaching through applicable anecdotes, sound advice and tried-and-true strategies that will work across all grades in the early years and in classrooms around the world. When I go into my first year of teaching, this book will be a handy reference and a guide as I navigate through the beginning of my professional career. 

No comments:

Post a Comment